Monday, August 30, 2010

I Love NY


I am still reflecting on the healing nature of this summer and marveling at the fact that I feel better and more myself than I have in over 3 years--well before I was diagnosed.  I have more energy, I am finally feeling results from regular exercise, I am more content with a deeper sense of inner peace.  Some things that used to rattle me, make me mad or defensive no longer have such a grip on me; I am more centered in myself and clear about my opinions, wants and needs; and I feel more emboldened in sharing them when appropriate.  It seems that God has worked no less than a miracle in my life.

I remember a week after returning from vacation, I couldn't remember anything, I couldn't track what I was supposed to be doing, I couldn't remember the date or where we were in the month.  The next week, I felt like a new person---like God had spent a week re-wiring my brain for a new stage or chapter in my life.  It sounds rather corny, but this is what I experienced.

Part of the healing came about in our near-perfect two week vacation.  It was one of those magical times as a family where things went well, everyone got along (for the most part!), and we all enjoyed what we were doing.  If there was a day that wasn't our personal favorite, there was something the next day to look forward to that kept us going and moving together.

We drove to Manhattan via Detroit (saw friends from the first congregation I served 20 years ago), Niagara Falls (riding the Maid of the Mist was an awesome and favorite experience!), the Baseball Museum and Hall of Fame (we all loved it!), a friends' lamb farm (we held triplet lambs!), and Ridgewood, NJ where Dan grew up (the kids think he had a better childhood than they're having!).  We took in all the usual sites in NY with the special treat of getting together with our friends Paul and Eric, and seeing Kelsey Grammar star in Las Cage Aux Folles on Broadway.  We spent a couple of days at the Jersey Shore and took in the NJ Six Flags Great America where we got to ride the Kingda Ka- the tallest fastest roller coaster in the world.  There's nothing like going 128 mph within 3.5 seconds to shake out whatever ails you.  I felt like I was in a cartoon with my cheeks and eyelids flapping in the wind.

This whole vacation experience released us to feel that life is good again; we affirmed that we have much for which to give thanks.  We were drawn out of ourselves and looked out at the world with new eyes, seeing opportunities everywhere to celebrate, learn, grow and move forward.  We started to get past the rut of letting misery and hardship define us.

I never thought of vacation in this way before.  But doing something completely new opens the way for the Spirit to work on us and in us for wholeness and peace - in our children and in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment